Strawberry Phirni (Strawberry Rice Pudding)

Strawberry Rice Pudding, Phirni

I distinctly remember the first time I had Phirni (Rice Pudding), a delectable and popular Indian dessert, as a kid. It was in a garden party on a beautiful summer night, with the soft white light of the full moon bathing everything in ethereal luminosity. The pudding tasted as delicious & exquisite as a heavenly nectar, like somebody had extracted white, sweet, creamy & cool moondrops. On instinct, I closed my eyes to savor the smooth blissfulness of this luscious delicacy, as it caressed my taste buds with its luxuriant texture & ambrosial sweetness. Ever since then, this rice pudding is my dessert of choice whenever I want a trip to the moon without stepping out of my home :)

However, being the incorrigible tinkerer, I just had to make my own variant of the traditional Phirni. Ergo, I added strawberries to provide a zesty fruity twist that complements the subtle sweetness of the creamy rice pudding - & going by the rave reviews I receive every time I serve this dessert to my family & guests, I guess I did the right thing :) A spoonful of this sweet concoction is sure to bring a smile to your lips, & an entire bowl of the Strawberry Rice Pudding will set your spirits flying high - don't forget to fasten your seat belts :)

STRAWBERRY  RICE  PUDDING  (PHIRNI)  RECIPE

Serves : 3-4

Ingredients:
    16 fresh Strawberries
    4 tbsp Rice
    1 qt (946 ml) Whole Milk
    6 tbsp White granulated Sugar, or to taste
    1 tsp Rose Extract
      For garnishing:
      4 fresh Strawberries; washed, hulled & sliced
      8-10 Pistachio slivers; optional

      How to make Strawberry Phirni

      1. Wash the rice thoroughly till the water runs clear. Soak the rice in 1 cup of water for half an hour. Strain the rice and grind it to a coarse paste along with 2 tbsp of milk.
      2. Chop half of the strawberries. Keep aside. 
      3. Grind the remaining strawberries to a fine paste. Keep aside.
      4. Boil milk in a deep heavy-bottomed pan. Add ground rice to the boiling milk and mix well.
      5. Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer, stirring at intervals (& scrap the sides of the pan as well) until the milk thickens to a creamy consistency.
      6. Add sugar & rose extract and stir till sugar dissolves. Adjust sugar to your taste.
      7. Remove from heat. Allow it to cool to room temperature. Add chopped strawberries & puree. Refrigerate.
      8. Serve strawberry phirni chilled and garnish with pistachios and sliced strawberries. 
      TIPS:

      Do not reheat after adding strawberries as the milk may curdle.

          5 comments:

          1. sounds amazing! what kind of rice do you use?

            ReplyDelete
            Replies
            1. Thanks Miri! I prefer to use Basmati Rice.

              Delete
          2. it came out so good n loved it..perfect flavors.. thanks for a grt recipe my hubby loved it..

            ReplyDelete
            Replies
            1. Kalpana, thanks much for letting me know. It really feels nice when someone tries out my recipe & loves it. We love this Strawberry Phirni too :) Happy Cooking ~ Nids

              Delete
          3. This looks delicious, I will try it out. Thanks for the recipe.

            ReplyDelete